All the sizes of disk partitions or RAID array virtual drives are carefully allocated while building the Windows 2008 Server, however, things are changing and the scheduled size may not always meet your needs, for example:
1. System partition is too small and no free space is left, you need to extend it.
2. To manage files more effectively, you need to shrink the large partition and create more for different usage.
3. A data partition is too small, but you cannot delete it.
Comparing to the old Server operating systems, Windows Server 2008 provides new feature – Shrink and Extend partition, after reading this article, you'll know the details about this new feature and the difference with third party partition software.
|Shrink partition under Disk Management|
Step 1: Right-click Partition C and select "Shrink Volume..."
In the pop up window, enter the amount of space to shrink, the maximum space can be used to shrink is 4644MB.
|Windows 2008 Server Disk Management||Partition Magic Server|
1. Can only shrink a little space, so you'll waste the free space if you won't use such a large partition.
2. The Unallocated space that just shrank can only be used to create new partition behind the system partition.
1. The maximum space can be shrank is all free space of this partition.
2. You may drag either left or right border of this partition to shrink, so the Unallocated space can be created behind or at the end of this partition.
3. This Unallocated space can be used to create new partition or extend any other partition.
Step1: Right-click the partition you want to extend and select "Extend Volume…"
Step2: In the pop-up window, enter the amount to extend from the total Unallocated space.
After that, the system C drive will be extended.
To extend a partition, there must be unallocated space behind it. The Shrink feature could shrink partition and get some Unallocated space, but you cannot extend C drive by shrinking Partition D, as the Unallocated space is behind Partition D. So the Shrink and Extend feature is useless to extend the system C drive, except that it could "move" the partitions.
There are many disadvantages in Disk Management, comparing with Partition Magic Server software:
|Features||Partition Magic Server||Server 2008 Disk Management|
|Extend/Shrink contiguous NTFS partition|
|Extend/Shrink nonadjacent NTFS partition|
|Extend/Shrink FAT partition|
|Create, delete, format partition|
|Change drive letter|
|Wipe Disk/Partition/Unallocated space|
Step 1, Launch Partition Magic Server, you'll see all disks and partitions that connected to your Server and free space, used space and other properties of each partition.
Right-click the data partition and select "Resize", in the pop-up window, drag the left border rightwards to shrink it.
There will be some Unallocated space behind the system partition.
Step 2, Right-click C drive and select "Resize", in the pop-up window, drag the right border rightwards to hold the Unallocated space.
Click "Apply" to proceed, done. After several minutes, you'll have a "new" Server that can be used for a long time again.
30-day Money Back Guarantee Secure Shopping Recommended by Millions 7*24 Live Chat SSL Encrypted